Union Terminal Cincinnati
- Great Train Stations, Our Cities Back to Portfolio
Cincinnati Union Terminal, one of America’s great Art Deco rail stations, was completed in 1933. Its principal architects were Alfred T. Fellheimer and Steward Wagner, with architects Paul Phillippe Cret and Roland Wank brought in as design consultants. New York-based Fellheimer and Wagner were well known for their work on train stations by the 1920s, which included structures in Erie, Pa., South Bend, Ind., Buffalo, N.Y., and Greensboro, N.C. In Cincinnati, their famed Art Deco terminal remains a symbol of the railroads’ power and glory in the first half of the 20th century. However, Cret was largely responsible for the building’s signature style, and is often credited as the building’s architect. Its ten-story, half-domed limestone and glass main entrance hall was the only half dome in the Western Hemisphere and the largest in existence when it was constructed.